Immigration FAQ

My family member is from a different country, how do I help my relative obtain a green card?

There are two ways of obtaining green card, through a family member or through your employer.  In both situations, you need either a qualified family member or an employer sponsor you.  You begin the process by filing a form called I-130, Petition for Alien Relative.  This form may be found here:

Which relatives may I petition for?

If you are a US citizen, you can file for your spouse and children.  If you are a US citizen and you are at least 21 years old, you may also file for your parents and brothers and sisters.

If you are a permanent resident of the US, you can file a petition for your spouse and unmarried children.  You may NOT file for your married children, parents, or siblings.

After I file, how long will it take before my relative can immigrate to the US?

If you are a US citizen, then there is no waiting line for your spouse, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and your parents.

For all other relatives, the time may vary depending on the demand and limits set by law on how many people can immigrate to the US.  To check current wait times, please visit:

What is a fiancee visa?

A fiance visa allows your fiancee from a foreign country to come to the US for 90 days to get married.   To apply for a fiancee visa, file form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance(e).  This form may be found here:

What are the requirements of a fiancee visa?

First, you must be a US citizen.  Second, you must intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancee entering the US.  Third, you both must be free to marry.  Finally, you must have met each other in person within 2 years before you file this petition.  There are two exceptions to this last requirement.  First, if this requirement violates strict and long-established customs of you or your fiancee’s foreign culture or social practices, and second, if meeting this requirement would result in extreme hardship to you.

More to come soon.

Comments are closed.